This time of year, Christian families all over the world celebrate St. Francis Day in honor of St. Francis of Assisi- the Patron Saint of Animals. We’ve gathered some of the 2020 ceremonies happening in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Portsmouth, Virginia! Please share others with us if your church is not listed here!
** Double check with each church prior to attending. Animals should be on leashes, or in crates/cages, fishbowls, etc. Masks and social distancing are required for most events.**
- Bayside Christian Church: Sunday, October 4th 2pm-4pm; Chic’s Beach by the bridge
- The Gathering at Scott Memorial UMC: Sunday, October 4th 3pm-5pm; drive-thru
- First Presbyterian Church of Virginia Beach: Sept. 22 & 23rd by appointment
- St. John’s Church: Sunday, October 4th 11:15am
- St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church: Sunday, October 4th 2pm-2:30pm
- PETA is making a recorded phone blessing accessible to every animal and every guardian across the U.S. To have your animals receive Father Dear’s blessing by phone, simply call toll-free 1-833-Assisi-1 (1-833-277-4741).
- Bayport United Methodist Church: Sunday, September 27th 9:45am: http://www.bayportumc.org/virtual-sanctuary
- St. Patrick’s Catholic Church: Sunday, October 4th 11:30am and 7:15pm: http://fb.me/stpatrickshamilton (We invite you this year on-line for the Virtual Blessings of Animals! Please send us a picture of/with your pets to firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you have a pet you think would benefit from in-home palliative care, home euthanasia, or integrative medicine consultation, please contact Hampton Roads Veterinary Hospice, In-Home Euthanasia, and Integrative Medicine at 757-474-5968.